Monday, August 9, 2010

10 Months!

Ten months ago, my life changed in the most wonderful way. I met SSG Aron Reyes ten months ago today and since then have fallen head over heels.
I got off work and went shopping at the mall. I found a new outfit to wear and actually spent my time getting ready. I rarely get in the mood to gussy up but some reason I had decided to this one Fall evening. I met a friend downtown at a local pub, Humphrey's. It was a Friday night and terribly crowded but the crowd didn't bother me this evening. We found some stools at the bar and our night began. I ordered a bourbon and coke, in true football season fashion. Then out of the corner of my right eye, I saw this t-shirt that said "Check out my stimulus package" and immediately laughed. I had just walked the march on 9/12 in D.C. against the universal health care program. Then I looked at who was wearing it. He was standing in the middle of a group of men, laughing at something. I noticed his adorable dimples and couldn't take my eyes off him. He noticed me gawking and I was busted. So as to look less creepy, I screamed "I love your shirt" and turned back around to the conversation around me. I had never gawked like that nor have I ever had the b-a-l-l-s to speak to someone so attractive.
A few minutes went by and he comes up to the bar to order another drink. He stood by my friend to order so I thought it was just to order another one. He looked over at me and asked if he could buy us a shot. My heart was thumping so hard. I am sure I looked like an idiot smiling and saying "Yes!" like a giddy school girl. His friends were hilarious and trying to play wingmen and calling him by the name of "Juan." You could tell he was blushing a little and I knew I wasn't dealing with some stupid drunk on a Friday night but an actual genuine, sweet person. I had to get to know him more but in a better setting. So I suggested moving to a table in the corner away from our friends. God Bless his friend Sean for really taking one for the team and keeping my friend occupied. I had him all to myself.
That is until he went to the bathroom and a pack of vultures attacked my table as soon as he left to use the restroom. The table next to us was occupied by this complete jerk who thought it was appropriate to come take over my table in a pathetic attempt to win my attention. I was trying so hard to be polite but it seemed as if they were there to stay! I was terrified of Aron coming back and thinking that I had moved on from our conversation. I was so afraid he would see all these guys and not come back to my table. The only reason for him to come back over was simply because of me. None of his friends were with us so he had no ties. I had been avidly scoping the crowd awaiting his return since the second he left me. Then I saw his face emerge from the crowd, tapped the idiot sitting in his seat, sat back down in front of me and smiled. My heart melted. Now all we had to do was get rid of the vultures. I have no idea what possessed one of them to lean across the table completely cutting off Aron from my sight, pehaps liquid confidence. He looks and says to me "So when are you gonna get rid of this guy and let me take you on a date?" My jaw dropped in shock. This douche mcgouche had the audacity to wait until Aron returned to say this?! Aron was irritated and not because he said so but simply by the body language and facial expressions. I don't remember all that was said after that because I was just flattered at how Aron was protecting me. I remember the guy poking Aron in the shoulder and Aron saying "Don't touch me" in this calm but very strong way.
He is my knight in shining armor! He is funny and sweet and smart and protective and so handsome! I am still smitten to this day! Never had I thought that this man ever really existed and now I stand corrected.
Since then he has been in Iraq serving our country and I have been patiently waiting his return. He will be home soon and I cannot be more excited.
What can I say? When you know, you know and I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment